Monday, June 27, 2011

June 27, 2010

Flying to Fuzhou, Fujian and GOTCHA DAY!!!

On our way to Fuzhou, Fujian

Waiting to meet her new brother

Sweet, sweet boy

That sad face breaks my heart to this day

One tired sister

Tuckered out after a long and emotional first day in our family

Reflection:
I've always wanted to know what "one year later" feels like. It is a milestone for an adoptive family. It's an adopted child's first birthday, a day to remember the first year together. I often thought that there would be something magical happen on this day. Like maybe this would be the day when I finally felt like I "got it," like I knew how to handle whatever came my way in regards to adoption. Maybe it would be the day that it all made sense to Xander, he had come full circle and now his actions and reactions would reflect his time with our family. Well, neither of these it true. Surprise, surprise, I was wrong again. :)

I remember so much of that first day. The room, the smells, the way he felt, the sound of his cry, my fear, the look in his eyes. Once I had him in my arms I held him close as he pushed away from me and screamed, but I just held him closer and started singing Jesus Loves Me. It was all this Mama could think to do, kind of a reminder to both of us. As we walked up and down the hall, the cries did not stop, just a baby crying and a mommy singing. Today we were on our way to speech therapy, and we had grabbed a quick bite from McDonald's (my all-American boy!), and the opposite happened. There was a baby singing Jesus Loves Me and a mommy crying! That's what "one year later" feels like.

2 comments:

  1. This my first ever comment on a blog-------but I just had to. Tears are streaming down my face because I was at the end of 'that' hall watching my child trying to comfort her child. And I am once again reminded of the words I heard out of another daddy's mouth that day when all the babies were crying-------Isn't it awesome!" And now I can echo those words because it is one year later, and add my own version "Isn't HE awesome!"

    ReplyDelete