Monday, June 28, 2010

Adoption Day!

And now we are 4!!!

It’s official, we are the parents to the cutest little boy you have ever seen!!! It’s been quite a crazy 2 days. Nevermind we traveled half way around the world to add a member to our family, but all that we have done so far is unbelievable.

I can summarize this morning is one word, CHAOTIC! Wow. Today we had to take our little one’s to the civil affairs office. Or, as the English translation written on the wall said, the civil affires office J. It was there that we signed a bunch of papers, which was all in addition to the stack we signed yesterday. I think I signed my name 6 times today and maybe 2 times yesterday. Kevin signed at least twice that many. We had to answer a few questions about why we wanted to adopt and swear that we would never abandon Xander. I’m going to try and explain a little bit of the scene, bear with me. We walked into the government office, and it kinda looked like a concession stand. The orphanage director of the Fujian province was there, staff from each of the 4 orphanages was there and the lady who runs the show (don’t know her official title, but she was the one who made everything official and told me where to sign!). It was hot, as many buildings here do not have AC. There were some tables in the “waiting area” and as we walked in we sat down and before we knew it the orphanage staff was taking pictures of us with Xander, people were dragging us to the table to sign papers, we were given gifts from the director, then we were told we would each be taken into the office for an interview.

I truly believe that the people from Xander’s orphanage cared deeply about him. We had a tough time yesterday when he was given to us, and today was hard too. They wanted to hold him, so we obliged. I must say it was hard, because I knew he would only get upset again when they handed him back to me. He did really well, but to say that it was loud, chaotic and uncomfortable would be an understatement. I just wanted to run to a corner and protect my little guy, but I couldn’t do it. The staff from Xander’s orphanage was very sweet to us and him. They gave him a necklace that symbolizes longevity, and he has not taken it off. He loves it, and we’ll let him wear it as long as he wants to. They took many pictures of our new family and we happy to pose with us so we could have some. They gave us a photo album with pictures of Xander which included information about the orphanage, people’s names and addresses. They requested that we send a family photo to them after he had his surgery so they could see him again. I thought that was very sweet and will certainly fulfill that request. After a few more goodbyes, we were off to sign just one more set of papers, which made it official. So, on June 28, 2010 the McNeelys became a family of 4!!!

We then visited a Wal-Mart!!! Um, I’ll touch on this another day, it was 3 stories high! We got back to our room and ate a light lunch because we are looking forward to an early dinner of Shanghaiese food. I’m excited and nervous, I’m kinda chicken when it comes to eating food in foreign countries. Our guide is taking us so I’m going to assume she knows it’s safe for American bellies.

We brought out the bubbles again after lunch and captured some great smiles from Xander. He just loves the bubbles and the way his sister reacts to them! Macey and Xander get along SO well. We are praising God today especially for that reason. Those of you who have seen Macey around other little kids, especially those she does not know, know she can be a little toot. Not always very friendly. Well, she loves her brother. She gets excited to see him and just wants him to notice every little thing she does. They actually shared toys today, it was a wonderful thing to see. I’m so proud of my big girl, she has been such a trooper and is absolutely amazing. Not every 21 month old can travel half way around the world, add a brother and still be all smiles!!!

We are looking forward to a low key day tomorrow including a trip to Panda World. On Wednesday we have been given permission to visit Xander’s orphanage. Please start praying about that now, I know it will be hard on him again, but I think we will regret it if we do not go. There will be a lot of emotion from us, and him, that day.


Macey and Xander's first hug!


Xander's first caregivers


Signing papers


Signing more papers


"Hey, I've got one of those, too!"


His sweet smile!!!

16 comments:

  1. That belly button picture is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! We love you guys and are so excited to see your whole family again! Bring yourselves home now! How cool. Love it! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tears of joy are overflowing!!! I am so thrilled for y'all and can't wait to see their relationship grow...what an absolute blessing!!!

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe with all my heart that Xander was always meant to be a part of your family. And those two little ones spirits know it too, and are happy to be together at last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your journey! It's such a blessing to see the evidence of God's work in your adoption. I look forward to following the rest of your journey. May God bless you and your precious children.
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glory to God. Can't wait to meet Xander in person and to see the 4 of you together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Cool. We are excited for you guys. Praying for rest and health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So amazing! I love seeing Macey and Xander together-what a sweet pair! It is like he completes a puzzle I didn't know was incomplete until I saw him a part of it. My heart is full of praise to our very awesome God!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise, praise, praise! It is so sweet to see the two of them loving each other!!!! Keep sending pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOOOOVE that belly button picture! What a fun set of "twins" you have there!! God is so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my!!! so precious the two of them together!!! what sweet brother and sister they are!!! sooo cant wait to see all of you in person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a day! The belly photo is hilarious! Love it! Xander is so handsome, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an absolute pleasure to witness this all...Allison you are doing an amazing job of re-counting this all for us!! I will continue to pray that everything goes smoothly for you all over there...I've thought of you so many times! Macey, what a great sissy she has turned into practically overnight! I insist that this is the best gift you could ever give her. Love you girl. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!
    Your family is beautiful, Xander seems to fit right in.
    Anne (another cleft mamma)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like Xander is right where he's always belonged with Macey ... little kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an amazing thing God has done in your family. He was meant to be with you. Can't wait to watch Macey and Xander grow up together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this is a little strange...the internet is really great but sometimes a little weird too. But, I saw your post on ChinaAdoptTalk.com and wanted to see if Xander was from Putian City. We are adopting a 2 yo little girl from there and I have found such little info on it it's frustrating. Would love to hear anything you could tell me if we are with the same orphanage.

    Seems like your trip is going really well! We are taking our 7 and 5 year olds with us...both blonde and blued eyed, I guess movie stars too....so it's great to see your two kids really having fun.

    Continued blessings!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete